| Karen Monson | 2008 Trips

2008 Trip Report - DE Rendezvous - China Ranch

China Ranch & Amargosa Canyon

Sunday, April 13,  2008

Leader: Bill Neill

by Karen L. Monsen

Trip  participants: Barbara and Ron Midlikoski; Bob and Karen Monsen; Danny and Norma  Silver; Craig Baker and Christina Grinder; Leonard, Rebecca, and Hannah  Friedman; Mary Hughes;  Allan and Ding Wicker; and caravanning with us to China  Ranch were two Europeans, Florence Hervé (French) and Thomas Schmidt (German).

We left Shoshone Sunday morning with eight vehicles  following leader Bill Neill. Our group included a couple from Europe who were  caravanning with us to China Ranch. Bill, a.k.a. the Tamarisk Eradicator and a  “regular” in the Amargosa Canyon, took us the short 10-mile drive south on CA  127, left on Tecopa Hot Springs Road, past the Tecopa Springs nude bath houses  (male and female separate), and a slight left onto the Old Spanish Trail  Highway.

 

The Old Spanish Trail—the pioneer settler route from Santa  Fe, New Mexico to California—was known as the “longest, crookedest, and most  arduous trail in the West.” It crossed the desert from water hole to water hole  in a wandering fashion. Today, this portion of the Old Spanish Trail connects  California to Nevada highway 160 approximately 40 miles west of Blue Diamond, NV  (southwest of Las Vegas).

At the China Ranch sign, we turned right onto the  dirt-graded Furnace Creek Road. The road was flanked by clay, mud, and  conglomerate mixed hills. Between 1915 and 1918, gypsum was mined here. They  produced $100,000 worth of gypsum, which was primarily used for plaster. The  mines were closed in 1918 when two men were killed in a cave-in. Nestled among  the barren clay mounds was our destination—a green oasis and family owned and  operated date farm known as China Ranch. Cottonwoods, willows, and date palms  surround several building structures that include the Morrison House, Green  House, Adobe House, and Gift Shop. Hikers can choose from several trails, Ranch  View Trail, Creek Trail, Badlands Trail, Cliff Trail, Mesa Trail, and The Crack  Trail.  

We parked next to the gift shop, gathered water bottles in  hand, and headed up the Mesa Trail for a 4-mile hike (more or less). The  European couple thanked us and headed out on their own, only to rejoin us  briefly later down the trail.

We walked over an area that was a landlocked basin some 12  million years ago intermittently filling and drying. Experts estimate Lake  Tecopa probably began drying and receding 100,000 years ago. The Amargosa River  forms a narrow green line as it winds through the arid landscape carving the  canyon and creating steep cuts and slopes.  

Soon we reached the man-made elevated embankment of the  former Tonopah and Tidewater Railroad. The rail line was built 1906-07 and  abandoned in 1940. Although the rails were removed in 1942, some of the wooden  railroad ties are still visible and partially buried in the dried clay and  others have eroded out and are scattered along the side slopes and valley floor.

We walked along to a point where we could step across the  Amargosa River. We continued to a spot where the river dropped and created a  small waterfall and pool where pupfish can be spotted. We hiked to a slot canyon  where we paused to cool off in the shade. At the canyon entrance, Allan Wicker  balanced his camera on his dual-duty, convertible hiking pole/tripod and took a  group photo.

Returning to China Ranch, we hiked back across the Amargosa  River and along areas where Bill Neill has been working to eradicate the  (water-sucking, invasive species) tamarisk trees. Looks like Bill will be back  again to continue the work.

We hiked past what remains (not much) of the talc-loading  ramp next to the railroad. We took in a 360-degree desert view that included  river, layered ore hillsides, mud/clay mounds, and the old rail line. Along the  way back, we passed Indian sleeping circles where the rocks marked prior Native  American encampments and the rusting remains of several motorized vehicles—a  fender, rusty scrap pieces from trucks, and scattered miscellaneous parts.

We paused next to the 1903 Taft Building, which is today a  stone ruin of an assay office that was later used as a bunkhouse for the Tonopah  and Tidewater Railroad. It was damaged in a 1992 earthquake and lost its roof  along the way. It appears that efforts are underway to shore it up and perhaps  add a new roof.

We returned to the China Ranch gift shop where we enjoyed  lunch and date shakes. Many of us sampled a variety of dates and purchased date  bread and dates for the return trip home. As we departed China Ranch, a sign on  the side of the road sums up the end of another Desert Explorers’ trip and  Rendezvous, “No matter where you go—there you are.”


© 2008 - Desert Explorers | Questions or comments? Contact Desert Explorers Webchick
Design by Crazy Suzy