After taking this with me to a DE meeting, I had several requests to print it in the newsletter.
It's a great thing to take on the road, as it keeps in an ice chest for many days. I love it for lunch, but it's a hearty side dish with dinner. My favorite salad of all time! Vicki Hill
— Very Wild Rice Salad —
Source: Bon Appetit • Servings: 6
I will print it as it was given to me and then add notes at the end.
1/2 cup finely chopped dried figs, apricots, or cranberries
1/3 cup chopped, toasted pecans
1/3 cup chopped almonds or cashews
3 tbsp. finely chopped green onion tops
2 tbsp finely chopped red onion
2 tbsp raspberry vinegar
1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
1 garlic clove, minced
1 tsp. Dijon mustard
1/2 tsp sugar
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup olive oil
• Cook the wild rice according to package directions. Drain and cool.
• Transfer rice to a large bowl. Mix in fruit, nuts and onions.
• Mix vinegar, lemon juice, garlic, mustard and sugar.
• Whisk in oils.
• Pour dressing over rice mixture and toss.
• Season with salt and pepper.
• If you don't have raspberry vinegar, red wine vinegar works fine.
• Don't use SPICY Dijon mustard. It overwhelms the other flavors.
• Sugar: I have never added it.
• Oils, I use walnut or hazelnut oil in place of vegetable oil.
• I cut the amount of oils in half or more.
• Adding ingredients: sometimes crystallized ginger.
• Garlic: usually I add 3 big cloves.
• Salt and pepper....I have never added any. It works well without them.