Steve and I were enroute back from a trip and we ran into a group of creative folks headed to “Wasteland.” The gathering occurred this year on September 22-25, 2016 in the desert near California City. This started as an annual gathering in 2010. According to their website:
“Join over a thousand attendees coming from all over the the United States (and beyond) to gather in the Southern California desert for a four-day post-apocalyptic festival. Set up camp at our wasteland compound, surrounded by specially-built sets. Costumes are required and post-apocalyptic campsites and vehicles are encouraged. Live for four days in a world pulled straight out of the Mad Max movies and other post-apocalyptic films and games, beyond the grip of so-called civilization.
Top DJs and bands from all over will provide the soundtrack, fire dancers and bonfires will light up the night, and modified vehicles will shake the earth with their engines. Don’t miss it!
This is an ADULTS ONLY event.
• Live bands &top DJs from California, Nevada, Arizona and beyond
• Combat and stunt performers, fire dancers, wasteland burlesque, post-apocalyptic-style sideshow and circus acts and more
• An armada of post-apocalyptic vehicles from all over the country
• Wasteland merchants vending their wares and services in “Bartertown”
• Jugger – The post-apocalyptic bloodsport of the future
• Vehicle cruises, themed games, contests, and activities
I asked if the event was similar to Burning Man and after hearing a few expletives, I was informed that this “full immersion” event should never be associated with Burning Man. The group had traveled all the way from Montana.